Back to the Bulkhead Section
Please be aware that ECR is now a Defender repair and modification shop only.
We no longer work on Range Rovers, Discos or Series Rovers.
These pages are from work we did in the past and left up for your enjoyment.
Series IIA Bulkhead Repair
This Series IIA bulkhead has come to us from a customer in MA that is doing his own restoration. The bulkhead is very bad shape. At first glance it doesn't look that bad, but all the attachment points on this bulkhead are rusted past the point of being secure and nearly all the welds are cracked due to rust from behind. Above you can see that we have set the bulkhead in our bulkhead jig to check to see if we can repair it.
Doing the normal floors and door posts on a bulkhead are no problem at all, but when the rust gets into these higher areas it gets touch as go whether it is worth it to restore the bulkhead, and this one is so badly decayed from the inside out that it will be touch and go if we can save it.
Even under the windscreen seal this bulkhead has through rust.
All those small rust blisters you see in the images above will open up into holes when we media blast the bulkhead. Nine times out of ten we are very confident and can make nearly any bulkhead like new, but this one is on the fence. Next step is to cut away the rusted areas that are too far gone to repair and get things lined up to install the new steel panels.
Here you can see the bulkhead after it was media blasted. All the rusted metal on the LH and RH sides of the upper bulkhead basically just vanished as "rust dust" when blasted, so we have cut away the decay back to good metal and this is what we are left with... not much.
The entire area between the vent flap and the windscreen hinge is gone (as you can see by the red arrows), we had to cut this far back to find good metal to weld to. The good news is that ECR's fabrication dept. can make even this bulkhead live again.
Here you can see a little further along in the process. The replacement panels for the upper section have been made and added to the original bulkhead. As you can see this work is done with metal, not body filler. Next the windscreen hinge will be added on to complete the repair of this upper area. Then it will be onto the RH side and then fabricating the new door seal retainers and the door posts and footwells.
Now that the top section damage has been addressed we can turn to the more typical footwells and door post rust. The image above shows the bulkhead jigged up and ready for welding the door posts, feet, kick panels and floor tops in place. As you can see the new pieces are galvanized for extra long life.
Here you can see the steel work on the bulkhead is complete. The rust is gone and new steel is in its place. The bulkhead has been set up to fit the customers stock heater and his power brake system so that the bulkhead can be reinstalled into the Series IIA with little drilling and cutting.
The last step to make this bulkhead ready to go is that it has been dunked in our dunk tanks to assure a long life. We use a heavy duty primer and submerge the top section and the L and R door posts completely in the primer. This gives the bulkhead an extra long life considering that a factory bulkhead has no such treatment to the inside of the metal. This customer is doing his own paint and body work, so this is the finished project, ready for collection and eventual install into the customers Series IIA.